Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Zooey Deschanel of bite-sized desserts

"Maybe even more surprising than the near-perfect cookies, though, was that I found the process of macaron-making surprisingly straightforward. This was not something I expected, given the gallons of virtual ink spilled on the subject on practically every cooking blog I read — some time in the last year or two, everyone (myself included) became obsessed with macarons. Brightly colored but prim, sweet but not too childlike, mysterious and beautiful and ephemeral, truly they are the Zooey Deschanel of bite-sized desserts. And nothing seems to fuel the allure so much as the myth that they're hard to make. That's right, myth: friends, macarons are not actually that difficult. I measured my ingredients, whipped my meringue, folded in the dry stuff, did my dozen turns of macaronnage, measured, piped, slammed, rested, baked, sandwiched, and ate. All told it took about an hour. Okay, call it two, if you want to count the time it took to bring the egg whites to room temperature."
(Nov. 23, 2009, Eat Me Daily)

No comments:

Post a Comment